iGaming or online gaming is wagering money online on outcomes of sports and casino games. The iGaming sports include soccer, rugby, cricket, horse racing etc. while the online casino games include bingo, wheel of fortune, poker, slot games etc.
In which countries is iGaming becoming a rage:
Online betting has now become a multi billion dollar market in countries like UK, Malta and African countries like South Africa, Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana. The UK has had a long history of betting (think Ladbrokes and the likes) which has now smoothly transitioned into iGaming. African countries on the other hand have seen a surge of online sports betting and other online casino games in the last 10 years. However, it is slated to become a $37 billion market in Africa alone in 2018.
Why has Online gaming or iGaming market witnessed an unbridled upswing:
1. Unemployed youth: This is the primary demographic for iGaming. This is due to lots of availability of time. Online gambling provides a “lucrative” way of passing time and is probably the only way they think of earning money. In UK alone, there are around 20 million people in the age group of 15-35 (Ref: Statista). Africa has more than 420 million people aged between 15 and 35 of which 25-40% of this is unemployed.
2. Huge sports fan base: All these countries have sports crazy youth who are passionate for sports like Soccer, Cricket, horse racing and Rugby. Online sports betting or iGaming gives them another way to engage with their favourite sport.
3. Rise of Mobile Money: Growth in mobile money has proved to be a boon for merchants to sell their services, especially, online betting companies.
4. Highly addictive: Let’s face it. iGaming is highly addictive. As online sports betting software providers we need to educate our customers how to play responsibly.
5. Growing internet and mobile penetration has been instrumental in the rise of online sports betting.
We (Queppelin) have developed successful online sports betting games for large European business houses. Our portfolio includes sports betting, casino, bingo, eSports and poker. Write to us today at [email protected] to see how we can develop these betting games for you.
Also read, How to start Online Sports Betting in Africa.